Al's Photography Blog

Al's Photography Blog
Pikes Peak As Seen From Our House

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Black Forest Park Post-Fire

Those of you who have followed my blog will know there was a terrible wildfire in my area each of the last two summers; each destroyed hundreds of homes and thousands of acres. The one last year burned within a few streets of our house. Here are some more photos from my walk in the nearby Black Forest Regional Park, parts of which burned in last year's fire.
The burned area can be dangerous because in places the roots burned away, leaving the trees subject to falling at any time. However, where I entered the park (in the far southwest corner) no evidence of the fire was visible.
It didn't take long to reach areas showing signs of ground fire; these trees survived.
Walking further into the burn zone, there is a mixture of destroyed trees and those that survived.
But deeper into the fire zone, everything burned. These areas will take decades to regenerate.
You can see new vegetation shooting up through the ground.
I guess it did make the Pikes Peak views easier to see.

17 comments:

  1. It's hard to imagine the horror of those fires!! Great captures for the day, Al!! Hope you have a great new week!! Give the doggie fellows a pat for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary to live so close to a raging forest fire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. This is really hard to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forest fires can be incredibly devastating. It's a welcome site to see the new growth and see the renewal of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fires are scary, I am so glad it did not reach your street or house. It is kind of sad to see the trees burnt, it takes so long for a tree to grow big.. Love the view though, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photography of a sad nature event ~ OWT ~

    artmusedog and carol ( A Creative Harbor

    ReplyDelete
  7. as ugly and destructive as forest fires are, i read fires are needed for some trees to propagate or help in the propagation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A terrible loss! Have your neighbors who were affected recovered?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wild fire is devasted the grren forest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad to see. We have a terrible fire raging over here at the moment too...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sad and scary. Yes, new things will grow, but what a pity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to see the rebirth of vegetation in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That fire was horrible, Al! I did not realize it almost reached your home! I have been grateful for all the rain we received this year in Colorado and the smaller amounts of forest fires.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such devastation! I also think about all the wild animals that perished. So close to your home, it must have brought you a lot of anxiety. Your photos show the destruction very well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh great pictures and so interesting to see the followup. But my heart did a plummet when I saw the title on my Feedly ... we've been traveling in Alaska and not keeping up super well with the news and it scared me that I missed something. (There are so many burning in the Pacific NW , that we do see in the online paper from where we usually stay in Oregon).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - I love reading them and look forward to viewing your blog. If you only allow Google+ comments I won't be able to leave a comment in return.

Related Posts with Thumbnails