Al's Photography Blog

Al's Photography Blog
Pikes Peak As Seen From Our House

Monday, December 13, 2010

My Western World

My city Colorado Springs has strong ties to the classic American West. For example, every year the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo is a major event in town. Although I've never seen the rodeo (I need to fix that next year), here's a downtown statue of Hank the Cowboy, who has promoted the rodeo for years.
The Pikes Peak Range Riders were founded in 1949 to promote the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo, and they still have a range ride every year. Here's a photo of their memorial, also downtown.
There's a lot more Western culture here - the ProRodeo Hall of Fame is in town, and horses are a common sight in the suburbs. I frequently run into horses when I'm taking Socks for a walk in our local park, as I did yesterday. But that's enough of my world for today; to see other non-Western parts of the world visit the My World Tuesday web site.

13 comments:

  1. I didn't realize Colorado Springs has such a rich western culture until my daughter did a school project on Colorado Pioneers. It's a beautiful place. Weather, culture, technology... you name it, it's there. Nothing more, nothing less, just right.

    Beautiful photos and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed a great and beautiful place! Your photos for the day are terrific as always, Al. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see people still riding the ranges. We too have a bi-annual, 24 hour cross-country riding event here. One year they rode across our property which was fun to watch from home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just telling my husband how much I really like to see Colorado sooner than later :)

    Happy Holidays.

    Mine is here

    ReplyDelete
  5. those statues are great. you have to go see at least one rodeo. it's incredible to watch. my favorite is the bull riders. i remember watching a guy during a show. he'd been bucked and blood just poured from his nose & mouth like water from a faucet. i felt so sorry for him but after awhile he was fine. they got him medical attention & cleaned him up. from what i heard he was in the next nights roundup too. our town doesn't sponsor the shows anymore though. sorry if i was to graphic. have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting. My sister and her husband have acreage southeast of town and have horses and go to rodeos and all sorts of western events.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see horses everyday! The only time we see horses here is at the horse races.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm learning a lot of your town and surroundings reading your blog. Nice photos.
    15 years ago my daughter studied at Bookings highschool. When she graduate our family come over and visited her hostfamily. We rented a car and looked around South Dakota and Wyoming. We really loved what we saw. I will come back to USA some day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photo tour. Boom & Gary Of The Vermilon River.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like cowboys and rodeos. What a nice place this is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never made it to the Rodeo either when I lived in CS. Baby twins, absent spouse (military), job ... too many other things going on I suppose. Looking back I wish I had made the time for a LOT of things I missed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Al, great to have found your blog. Love this pics, the light makes me homesick for Australia. Carla

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - I love reading them and look forward to viewing your blog. If you only allow Google+ comments I won't be able to leave a comment in return.

Related Posts with Thumbnails